Saturday, October 8, 2011

Armani in Black & White

Disclaimer: I have no connections to any company being discussed in this blog entry.  I'm extremely com çi com ça about Armani, Rihanna, and everyone that worked or was involved on this project (this specific short film).  This is simply an opinion on the actual art of the project, how it was captured, produced and executed to the public.







       I received this short film as a Fashion Update from FTAPE Magazine yesterday.  The present Armani short film opens with the lights of a car that swoon in rapidly, in a black and white parking lot setting with accents of high key lighting to intense the drama of the situation.  There is an attractive gentleman apparently waiting for someone or something standing impatiently next to a preplaced allegedly costly vehicle.  Almost immediately,  what this first man was waiting for, arrives.  A second, also seemingly attractive man, a chauffeur, hands him a small leather gym bag after after driving in, in another expensive looking automobile after whomever was in the first car honks briefly.  The first gentleman takes said gym bag to this woman waiting in the car.  The role of the femme fatale in this story is portrayed by the singer Rihanna.  I was somewhat thrown off by the fact that it was her that was advertising for such an important name in fashion, but I was even more surprised with what they did with her.  They completely deleted her identity to make her seem as absolutely nothing except her womanness (if I make myself understood).  Also, I'm not a listener of her art or really know of what she's capable of, musically speaking, but I think for the situation, this was probably the worst song they could have selected.  They could have picked anyone at all to show breasts and legs, and for a brief moment, this getting dressed/undressed scene becomes almost uncomfortable.  Watching this I realized that the black and white element used for the short film, was also used to erase her ethnicity.  I'm not sure if this was their intention but I would have liked this brief somewhat if they showed her actual color, if they weren't afraid to show her  womanness for what it really is, in all its beauty.  Anyway, as soon as she's done dressing herself, having completely changed her outfit (and showing the Armani logo for like a second) you see her face (clearly this time) while she zips up the top of her jacket.  I really apologize to Rihanna and her devoted followers, but this is AN ARMANI COMMERCIAL, they could have done something a lot more productive with her hair, it looks like a terrible hair cut and an awful dye job.  Unless it's a wig, in which case I would have one comment, "hair and make up people, fix it, it's crooked" there is no reason why she should look like this, cheap, to sum it up in one word.  Then Rihanna proceeds to the elevator where she finds the chauffeur (the second gentleman from before) and gives a shy little laugh as the elevator doors close, and the short film comes to an end.  I didn't understand it, maybe I'm really dense (which, I'm sure, I'm probably not) but this, artistically speaking, this was completely infertile and uninspiring.  I don't even feel like it might be a very good advert, plainly intrinsically in itself because I (the costumer, and who this commercial was probably aimed for) was not in the least bit inclined to buy anything Armani, at least for the rest of this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment